Wicked Machine

I, for one, welcome our new black Muslim overlords.

Wednesday, August 20, 2003

The awful truth about "The Ring"

I was watching The Ring last night on DVD, and I turned to Rachel and said, "This movie would make me throw away my VCR in abject terror, if it weren't attached to the DVD player."

Then she said, in a joking manner, "It's probably supposed to make you feel that way. The film's probably just a big plot by DVD manufacturers to get you to convert to DVD."

I laughed, but then I started thinking about it. "Ringu", which "The Ring" is a remake of, was a Japanese film. Most of your major DVD manufacturers are Japanese corporations. Anyone else see the connection here? Who would stand to gain from making you afraid of VCRs?

As a point of fact there are NO DVD discs or players shown in the film. No one's getting killed by shiny plastic plates, just bulky old obsolete tapes and VCRs that Sony would probably love to phase out in favor of more expensive DVD set-top recorders. And what's a DVD, but a big shiny RING?!?!?

Wheels within wheels, my friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home